17.7.13, Hamburg

The hostel I stayed in Hamburg is worth mentioning. It is very cool and modern, with light colors decorating the walls and huge glass doors. I also received something like a passport at the reception, which if you stayed in all this hotel around Europe you would get two nights for free. I also received a free tshirt. This was very different from other hostels, and it made my stay at the first second enjoyable. But actually each of the hostels I stayed during my journey has its own highlights: some has free drink, some offers free breakfast, some harbors a cool bar, some has interesting designs…
Today is also my last day on my journey. In the morning I walked around the city of Hamburg and climbed up the St. George church. Up till now, I would climb up a church and have a bird view of the city in each of the cities I visited. Hamburg is the second largest city in Germany, and it is not a false claim: standing at the top of the church I can hardly see the borders of the city. The Elbe river flows across the city and makes Hamburg a very important port. Ships sailing along the river and the ports show the prosperity of this so called “the gate to the world”. But today I had no luck, since I didn’t see a single cargo ship…
Hamburg is finished in three hours, plus yesterday night 3 hours, I toured the city 6 hours before I stepped on my train back to Leipzig. The journey has ended; it was so interesting and rewarding. When I came back to my dorm it seemed nothing had happened, yet I know that I have traveled almost around the entire country, saw great sceneries, learnt a lot about the country, thought a lot about various topics, and met many interesting people. This traveling experience on my own will be one of my dearest memories in my entire life.
Back in Leipzig meant the start of the next German course. This course is much more interesting since people are much more diverse: students come from more than 20 countries and regions. Last course almost all the students come from USA, and it makes making friends or speaking German kinda difficult. But this course is much better. I met two Italian people during dinner and we soon became friends. It is exciting simply to imagine how many new friends around the world I would have by the end of this course. Looking forward to it!