Königssee, 9.7.13

1.the story started yesterday. I arrived very smoothly at the…………. Final bus station, as indicated by DB website. Next it said that I need to walk 5 min to a street. Trouble comes. Where on earth is that he’ll street?! The street signs in this little town really need improvements… In cities like Munich I never had problems finding ways because the streets are well labeled. I finally came to a crossroad, where there stands a sign, on which is my pension’s name. I went there and knocked the door and rang the bell crazily but no one responded. I phoned the landlord also, but still no one respond. What the heck! After several setbacks I finally found the right place. The landlord was not there, and she came back about then minutes later. I the recalled the time when I knock the wrong door. The incidences worked together! There was nobody in the wrong pension, and there was no one at the reception at my pension. This made me think the wrong pension was the right one. But anyways. This was the first time in my journey that I had trouble finding my sleeping place. I thought after this journey I will be so much better at finding ways in a a strange place.
2. Let us talk about food first. I made a very bad decision, that is, I didn’t eat at obersee, the inner sea of Königssee. I eat at a church, the fish costs almost 20 euro. At the restaurant at Obersee the fish costs only 9 euro. At the other side of the Obersee, after about 1hour walk, there is a small farm, and the milk there is twice as cheaper as the milk sold at the church. It is the opposite of what prices are distributed in China! Usually the highest prices are at places that are hard to reach. But here, the things here far far away cost very little…. But anyways the fish was very good and fresh.
3. Forgot to talk about my landlady. A very nice and friendly lady! Helped me a lot with finding ways. I might take very long time before I reach königssee, if she haven’t pointed out the way. It was kind of dangerous to lose ones way here because in this little town there are only a few people, and there are usually nobody on the street whom you can ask help for. People you meet usually on the street are dominantly tourists.
4. The scenery. Shall I say the most beautiful scene I have seen in Germany? It was beyond description. The lake is a national park. I took a ship to Salet, kept walking to Obersee, and kept walking and found a huge waterfall, arguably the highest in germany. The walking tour was in total about 13km, and I spent more than 7 hours in this national park.
5. Today I also made a big decision about my career at Rice. I dropped GERM 305 and registered for advanced German because I still want to work on my language skill but not trying to earn a degree in a faster manner or something. It is better to learn something and learn it in a solid way. I think if I have one more year of advanced German I would become a lot better and more comfortable in this language. Proficiency in German should be my ultimate goal, not a degree in German studies.